Expats living in China notice many ways in which the Middle Kingdom is different from their homeland. However, some of these peculiarities are not merely Chinese and can be witnessed in other Asian countries as well.
One of my Facebook friends (thanks Jeph!) recently showed me cartoon depicting a funny moment in the life of “laowai” living in… Korea! After tracking the source of the picture I eventually landed on the site of its creator Luke Martin, and stuck there for a long time browsing through different cartoons and having lots of laughs.
Looking at them I caught myself thinking that Westerners living in China should often have similar experiences. So, I contacted Luke and asked for permission to post some of his cartoons. Choosing just few wasn’t an easy task – thus I decided to take only those which are related to the topic of Asian fashion. To see the rest – and there are plenty – go to Luke’s site, ROKetship).
1) You think you know what size is small and what size is big? Think again!
2) Another misconception (of Westerners) is what parts of body should be showcased.
3) Remember the Asian aging process? Somewhere along the way there is also the change in fashion sense.
4) One important lesson to learn from Asian fashion is how to express your love through clothes…
5) Everybody knows that Asia is the hot market for luxury brands. And it’s not only females who follow the trend.
So, what do you think – is Korean fashion similar to Chinese?
Cartoons fan, Crystal Tao