In the discussion of my previous post about Chinabounder’s blog one of commenters mentioned that different forums for expats are full of derogatory comments about Chinese girls. This is true. Being a member of similar sites I know it myself. But instead of “playing a victim card” (using expression from your comments :-) ) I decided to delve into this topic a little bit deeper. So I asked myself: what are the most widespread adjectives used by foreigners to tag Chinese girls? Doing it wasn’t very difficult – and after a short online research I had a list of words most often used to describe Chinese girls.
1. Chinese girls are beautiful. It’s not a surprise to see this description at the top of the list. People prefer to talk of the things that they are passionate about. Naturally some men are crazy about Chinese girls and think that they are beautiful. And the most often reasoning to explain why they are attractive in these men’s eyes is that Chinese girls are feminine. Definitely there are many men whose hearts begin to beat faster when they look into black, almond shaped eyes…
2. Chinese girls are gold-diggers. Unfortunately, this is a very popular term as well. Especially on the forums where men who had unhappy dating experience share their thoughts. Generation of 80s and 90s, as well as Shanghai girls are the most potential targets to be tagged as gold-diggers. “Shanghainese girls” also seem to be an almost idiomatic expression synonymous to high-maintenance Chinese females.
3. Chinese girls are easy. This opinion is especially widespread among expats. Of course, one can argue that expats mostly communicate with young urban girls who know English language and are willing to contact with foreigners – so they from the very beginning don’t represent the general population of Chinese women. More worrying, however, is the fact that in online discussions China is often tagged as the number one country for one night stands.
4. Chinese girls are traditional. Being an antithesis to the previous statement it is often voiced by men who want to have serious relationships with Chinese ladies. This fact leads me to the following speculation: maybe the way in which the characteristics of observed group are described depend more on the nature of observer that the observed group itself? That is men who look for easy girls attract such kind of girls, and those who prefer the “good” ones find the traditional girls.
5. Chinese girls are immature. I should admit that while spending some time on Chinese dating sites browsing through different profiles I was surprised to see pictures of “cute” girls like the photo above. Big eyes looking at you with the artificial expression of surprise and innocence. The most stunning thing was that even some 30 years old females had profile pictures with the same facial expression. And though it was just a little fraction of profiles – their pictures tend to stick in memory. So I can imagine that meeting such girls in face and listening to their baby-like voices is a “traumatic” experience that can throw a shadow on the whole population.
6. Chinese girls are loyal. It combines such virtues as filial piety to parents and faithfulness in relationships with partner. Generally being a desirable quality – it can pose certain difficulties when woman is the only daughter of her parents. In this case she might be very dependent on parents’ opinion making the romantic relationships susceptible to different tensions and conflicts.
7. Chinese girls are small-minded. This term I chose myself to substitute such often used adjectives as petty, narrow, silly and so on. Yup, some foreigners think that we are small-minded. I feel, however, that such conclusions are somewhat biased. It’s difficult to make an objective evaluation of someone from different culture and mentality, especially if there is also a language barrier.
8. Chinese girls are insecure. This one is difficult to argue with. Indeed, we often lack confidence regarding our appearance. A typical Chinese girl is not satisfied with her yellow skin, little breasts, she is too short, not slim enough and so on. It takes a lot of time and patience from a man to reassure the girl that she is beautiful in his eyes (and even if he succeeds – time and again there will be remissions of insecurity).
Let’s finish the list here although it could be extended further to include such adjectives as: friendly, submissive, always complaining, hard-working etc. I personally found it difficult to agree or disagree with most of the listed qualities. I indeed think that Chinese girls are loyal, and – yes – they are insecure.
Now I invite you to say your word. In the poll below you can cast vote for any number of the listed options as long as you think that they are descriptive of Chinese girls.
Simply Crystal Tao
Check the analysis of poll results.