After a long marathon of wedding preparations is finished – it’s time to sigh with relief and enjoy the party… NO! Guests and relatives also haven’t been idle and prepared few surprises. It means that many little challenges are awaiting for the new-weds. Though majority of challenges will fall on the groom’s shoulders.
And there is no place for complaining or bargaining. Nobody said that getting a bride would be simple :-) The only thing that can ease groom’s troubles is to prepare a bunch of little red envelopes in advance to pay for “failed tests”.
Below is the compilation of different games played during Chinese weddings.
There are variations in customs between different provinces, but the main motives are the same everywhere.
Everything begins when groom arrives to pick up the bride from her home.
Before he is allowed to enter her room, he has to succeed in some of the following tasks:
- Given the bride family’s picture, he must recall the names of all her relatives and correctly address them
- Remember all significant days of their dating period: when did they meet for the first time, when did they kiss, when did he ask her to marry and so on
- In the mixed set of girls’ shoes find the one which belongs to his beloved
- Search over all the house to find 8 pieces of paper with a heart-shaped pattern
- During 3 minutes insert a thread through 9 needles stuck into radish
Don’t think that you can get away without giving few red envelopes. Even if you successfully complete all tasks – you can always be asked an “egg or chicken” like question with no correct answer ;-) .
Oh, those tricky guests! What won’t they do to get red envelopes or lucky cigarettes. ** Sometimes cars making the wedding procession will suddenly “break down” in the middle of the street and not get fixed until the drivers are paid a bribe…
** – Yes – cigarettes! They are everywhere. Cigarettes are often enclosed to the wedding invitations sent to guests. When guests arrive to the banquet they are often greeted by a bride who lights their cigarettes, even if she is not a smoker herself (just because it is believed to bring luck). And also many wedding games revolve around cigarettes. So – be prepared in advance to breathe a lot of tobacco smoke.
Finally you made your way to the place of wedding itself… Take a deep breath before rising to the wedding stage, since this is where the most difficult tasks are waiting for the new weds:
- Lovers always swear to share happiness and sadness together. Indeed, life is not always sweet. So how about tasting the “soup of life”? There are few recipes for this dish. A possible one could include a mixture of smashed melon, honey, chili sauce, lemon juice and salt.
- Anyway, it’s easier than smoking tens of cigarettes inserted into a plastic bottle and simultaneously lit by “kind” bridesmaids
I think that after the previous two the rest is quite easy:
- Groom running across the wedding hall with the bride on his shoulders
- Bride and groom popping a balloon by squeezing it between their bodies without the help of hands. You think it’s easy? Try ;-)
- Making oaths and promises in a local dialect
- Recognizing the bride among other girls kissing a blindfolded groom on the cheek
The games I mentioned here are only the tip of iceberg – there are many more ways to “torture” the fresh couple. In the video below, which I found on Youtube, you can see some of them.
I hope that after reading till here, those who haven’t married yet didn’t change their mind.
Waiting for her own portion of “tortures”, Crystal Tao